Windows Server 2016 contains new features and improvements that help customers safeguard their businesses, improve IT efficiency and productivity, and prepare for the cloud.
Windows Server 2016 contains three main editions:
- Datacenter Edition is for organizations that need unlimited virtualization and includes powerful new features, such as Shielded VMs and advanced storage and networking capabilities.
- Standard Edition is for organizations that have less demanding virtualization needs, but require a robust operating system.
- Essentials Edition is for small businesses with less than 25 users seeking a simple, hybrid cloud experience.
While Essentials Edition will continue to be licensed as before, the Standard and Datacenter Editions will be licensed by the number of processor cores in the server and will continue to require Client Access Licenses (CALs).
For more information about Windows Server 2016, visit the Windows Server 2016 preview page linked on the right.
Windows Server 2016 deployment resources
The Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) is a collection of tools that you can use to customize, assess, and deploy Windows Server operating systems to new computers and servers. The Windows ADK includes components that were previously released as part of the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK), such as:
- The Windows Preinstallation Environment, a minimal operating system designed to prepare a computer for installation and servicing of Windows.
- Deployment tools, which enable you to customize, manage, and deploy Windows Server images. These tools also automate Windows deployments, removing user interaction during Windows setup.
- Learn more about the Windows ADK in the related link on the right.
Language packs for Windows Server 2016
Preinstall Windows Server language packs to enable a multilingual user interface in Windows Server 2016 environments. Adding language packs to Windows Server images enables users to install multiple languages in the Windows Server operating system. See related link at right for more details.